Saturday, December 20, 2008

Decorating the Christmas Tree


Each year as Hogan grows and learns, the holidays become more fun. Decorating the Christmas tree this year was exciting. Hogan knew what a Christmas tree was, could help put on ornaments, and is now anxiously awaiting Santa's arrival. I thought that I would be a little ambivalent about Santa. I mean technically it's telling a big lie to your kids about how Christmas presents get under the tree. I didn't know if I wanted to perpetuate this myth and tell stories to Hogan that weren't true. BUT then, one night, when Hogan was being especially stubborn about going to bed, I played the Santa card.....I actually got out my cellphone and made a personal call to Santa to have a little chat about Hogan's behavior. Can you tell I was desperate???? This was an awful parenting moment, it truly goes against everything I believe about disciplining children, but IT WORKED. Suddenly, it all became very clear why the Santa myth continues, and as much as I hate to admit that I have to resort to using that particular ploy, I guess I'll just humbly say it- I'm not a perfect parent, and since I'm having to admit things about myself, I might as well go ahead and admit that for the next 7 years or as long as Hogan believes, Santa is here to stay! :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: