Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Splash Friday


Last Friday Hogan's class had a Splash Afternoon that involved a spinning sprinkler. I brought Hogan over so that he could be part of it, and I played the part of the 'extra' adult needed to monitor all the wet children. Our Splash afternoon began with snack. If you'll notice in the first picture, everyone EXCEPT Hogan appears civilized. Hogan is the only one who has found it necessary to spread his snack upon the table. He was also the only one that was very unimpressed with his mother being there.

Next, we headed outside. Getting five toddlers slathered in sunscreen and out the door is quite a feat. I was tired by the time we got to the backyard. But then the fun started. All the children EXCEPT Hogan tentatively observed the water trying to decide if getting wet was okay or not. Hogan spent the first five minutes outside screaming wildly as he ran full steam ahead through the sprinkler. He really was like a maniac, as if he'd never seen water before.

Finally, everyone made it into the water and for awhile all five were huddled around the sprinkler having what looked like a meeting of the minds to decide how exactly the sprinkler worked. It was very entertaining to watch all of them work together to push the water, splash the water, and manually hold the rotating sprinkler head so it stopped turning. Quite a collaborative effort.

When it was time to leave Hogan was one pooped kid. He was in bed sleeping soundly by 6:15 pm. What a life!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

M.B.S. said...

I'm glad Hogan spread his food around and jumped right into the sprinkler and showed enthusiasm. Were the other kids half-asleep, or what?

I had this conversation with a friend recently (a mom I admire on many levels, for her professional life as well as her family life, and one with very well behaved, brilliant children). I said, "My kid is definitely the loudest one at playgroup. She throws fits, she squeals, she screams bloody murder if anyone takes her food, and I'm wondering, am I overly indulgent?" She kind of groaned and rolled her eyes and asked how many kids were in the playgroup. About four other girls. "See?" She said, "that's not a very good demographic for judging your child. Those are just a few children. You don't know where your kid is in the great scheme of kids." She encouraged me to read more books on straight-up development, not discipline styles (which I need to do--but I bet you've already read them all).

Last Tuesday we tried a Musikgarten class. There were four boys and three other girls besides Audrey. Aud moved around more, was more active, and was more aggressive than the other girls. But compared to the boys, she was very still. "There," I thought. "My kid is in the middle. She is spirited and independent at times, clingy to mom at times, and always ready for a snack at 9:30 a.m. So there."

At any rate, I totally feel your pain (if it was painful for you). But maybe it wasn't. Maybe I'm imposing on you my own mortifying experiences recently. Anyway, I'm convinced that being a mom means that I have to get over embarrassement. I have to know exactly where my limits are (no-no, we don't bite other kids, for example), and what I value (my kid is doing her own thing right now, and that's okay). It goes against my grain not to please everybody and always follow the group. But I think it's good for me to have to evaluate my priorities and follow Audrey's lead sometimes. She's usually having more fun, anyway.

I can't wait for H and A to play together!!!!! They'll be partners in crime, I'm thinking (so long as my kid doesn't bite your kid, and I don't recoil in agonizing embarrassment and doom my household to self-imposed banishment forever).