Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heard Museum




We took a morning trip to the Heard Museum in McKinney,Tx. Hogan and I visited this museum last year around the same time. Today was the opening of their butterfly exhibit so we decided to go check it out again. What struck me most about this visit was how different Hogan was from last year. I remember last year that he spent a large amount of time running and trying to climb on things completely oblivious to all the hands-on exhibits like looking at the turtle shells or touching bones. I also remember steering clear of the sand pit last year because I knew that he would only go in and eat the sand.

This year he talked all through the exhibits, naming things, asking if they were "really" (his way of asking are they real and alive?) and telling us he wasn't scared (of the snakes or the big black stuffed bear). He actually used the brushes in the sand pit to uncover the fossils (although as you can see he had to have full contact with the sand, but no eating!). And was interested in viewing the animals and butterflies. I hadn't expected this trip to be some kind of measurement of his growth. It was exciting to see how much he's learned in a year.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Ragland's said...

Hey! That is around where I grow-up! My parents live about 2 miles away from there! It looks like you guys had a blast! That is funny-- I use to take field trips there when I was in grade school.

I am glad you guys came today! I know Autumn was happy to see Hogan again!
Luv,
Shelli

sweetsong said...

You are such an adventurous family. I have enjoyed seeing your summer excersions. I don't know if you have ever tried it but we like to go on the nature trail at SouthLakes park. Your pictures remind of me it. It is where we do our insect collecting. :)When it cools down we should go together.

MB