Sunday, August 5, 2007

Swim Lessons




Saturday was our final swim lesson for the summer. Hogan loved most parts of swimming. He was great at kicking his feet underwater- no surprise there- and didn't mind any of the submersions. He especially liked the releases when we would send him underwater through a weighted hula hoop. However, he hated back floats. In fact, the swim instructor structured her last lesson especially for Hogan, spreading out the back float practice with plenty of play in between so that he didn't have to do all of back float practice consecutively. This seemed to help.

I was surprised at all the different skills that were taught in the lesson. I imagined swim lessons for toddlers to be more play than learning, but that was not the case. The swim instructors fit so many skills into a 30-minute lesson. We were working hard! It just goes to show how smart and capable toddlers are. I keep learning that every day with each new skill Hogan acquires.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

M.B.S. said...

That sounds so cool! I've wondered how toddler swim lessons go. Is there a certain school of instruction you found that I can ask for?

Wow--kicking underwater, swimming through hoops--I'm so impressed!

Tami Len said...

This was one of the most fun things I have ever done! He was so great and brave!!! I loved it!